Monday, August 12, 2013

Jessica Subject talks about Sci-Fi Romance #SFR #eroticromance @jsubject

Debbie: Howdy all! Today we are down under the ground to talk to Jessica Subject about her latest release in her Underground Series. (turns to LJ) You’d think they’d do something about all the worms around here. And the lighting really sucks.

LJ: It does. And the coffee tastes like dirt. (pulls out a thermos)
Debbie: What’s that?

LJ: Um, coffee from home. Got fresh from my Keurig before I left. (waves at readers) Hey, Keurig fans! You guys know what I’m talkin’ ‘bout.
Debbie: I don’t even know what to say about that.

LJ: Hey, there she is!

LJ: (waves) Hey, Jessica!
DEBBIE: Hi, Jessica!

LJ: So glad you’ve come back again, Jessica! Love your Underground Series…and well, all your stories! So, let’s get to know Jessica Subject, the author…. Are you a pantser or a plotter?
JESSICA: I’m a hybrid. A bit of both. Though, I seem to be plotting more and more.

LJ: Ooo! Us, too! We knock around a lot of ideas then end up using them all! We need an outline to work everything in.
DEBBIE: Yeah, and what we don’t use always gets a story of their own.

LJ: (hangs head) I know. The list is long. (looks at Jess) Where do your story ideas come from?
JESSICA: From every aspect of life. Sometimes a dream, a conversation with someone, a television show, news story… And occasionally, ideas just pop into my head out of nowhere. The Underground series was based on a story I wrote for my high school science fiction English class.

DEBBIE: Good Lord, I don’t even remember high school!
LJ: Hmm…where do our ideas come from, Deb?

DEBBIE: Flashbacks?
LJ: What? Wait, is there something in that water you’re drinking? You’re trippin’, aren’t you?

DEBBIE: Noooooooooooo. Just plain old water here.
LJ: Hmm…protesting a bit much there. So, Jess, why SFR?

JESSICA: I’ve always enjoyed science fiction and wondered about life on other planets. It just seemed to fit. And the romance comes from my need to see everyone happy and getting along.
DEBBIE: Describe the place where you write.

LJ: (elbows, Deb) Good gosh, woman! First you nose around Becca Dale’s house. Now you’re asking Jess for details?? I’m telling ya, you’re gonna get labeled a stalker.
DEBBIE: Wouldn’t be the worst thing I’ve been called. Besides it’s a public service I’m providing. Readers want to know all this stuff ya know.

JESSICA: I usually write on the loveseat in the living room, in my AirChair outside, or in the vehicle while traveling long distances. I write wherever I can. With young kids around, I’ve had to. When I first started writing, I used to sit on the floor of my son’s bedroom while he had tummy time, and later started crawling around. Once he began to walk, I had to be more flexible.
DEBBIE: I’ve heard yoga comes in handy for that.

LJ: HAHAHA I don’t think she means yoga… Oh, never mind. Tell us a little about your home life, Jessica. Family? Pets? Hobbies?
JESSICA: I live with my husband and two kids. We have a rabbit and are looking at getting a dog. Not a puppy, though. When I’m not writing and promoting, I like to read and also go hiking. Now that my daughter knows how to ride her bike, we go for family bicycle rides, too.

DEBBIE: Wow, we have tons in common! I like to read and go hiking, too. It ends there though. You can keep the bike rides, lol.
LJ: I love biking. Especially mountain biking. Tons of fun!

DEBBIE: Figures!
LJ: (snort) Jess, when did you start writing and why?

JESSICA: When I was on maternity leave with my son, my daughter was learning how to read. She’d come home with books from school and get so frustrated. Though, if the book was about something she enjoyed, she would actually try to read it. So, I wrote a book for her about one of her stuffed animals to encourage her to keep reading. It worked, as she now reads above grade level. And after that, I kept writing, but focused on books meant for adults rather than children.
DEBBIE: Wow! That’s awesome that you were able to help her that way. And, great for us too that you focused on adult stories, lol.

LJ: Very cool!
DEBBIE: What was the one thing you learned as an author that you would share with aspiring authors?

JESSICA: The one thing I learned is that the first draft is NEVER perfect. It can always use revisions and edits to make it better. I was lucky enough to find a great critique group and critique partners to show me how to make my stories better.
LJ: Critique partners are important. They can give a lot of insight on things you as an author never see because you’re too close to your own writing. Course Deb’s all about critting. I can never see the error of my own ways, but others (i.e. Deb) are helpful and always point them out for me.

DEBBIE: Hey! You stole that from me.
LJ: HAHAHAHA Maybe. (turns to Jessica) So, here we are underground, in this strange and amazing place you created. Tell us about Never Gonna Desert You.

JESSICA: Never Gonna Desert You is the second story in The Underground series. It is filled with deception and revelations that are surprising to all those involved. It is also the story of Melina and Brook, and they both must prove how far they will go to be together. Here’s the blurb:
Determined to find and bring back her girlfriend, Brook enlists in the next mission to the foreign planet, Airondelle. But the deception at Planet Core continues, and Brook doesn't realize the depth of her father's involvement until he orders her terminated. Struggling to stay alive, she quickly learns nothing is as she believed. 

Will she ever find Melina? Or will Brook be stuck light years from home, alone, and with a fierce predator hunting her down?
DEBBIE: Ohhhhh, sounds exciting.

LJ: I read the first book, Never Gonna Let You Go, and it was awesome. This one sounds like a must read to me!
DEBBIE: I might even have to cross that line into Sci-Fi!

LJ: Oh, well there you go, Jess! You’ve converted Debbie. Go you! And since she’s interested in SFR (at last), what inspired you to write this series?
JESSICA: I was looking through my school memories book, and found the intro to a science fiction story that I wrote in high school. I thought I’d continue the story. Though, it turned out much different than my original idea.

LJ: Yeah, I wrote a full length novel based on a short story that I have in an anthology. You’d never know the two were related. LOL It’s strange how things work that way sometimes.
DEBBIE: It’s strange the way your mind works sometimes.

LJ: Gotta keep you guessing, girly. J (turns to Jessica) Tell us about Brook.
JESSICA: Brook is the daughter of Benson Malock, the president of Planet Core. She is a biologist at the corporation and is involved in creating hybrids and cloning plants and animals. Though she had bad luck with relationships, she finally found love and happiness with Melina. Though, they must keep their relationship hidden.

LJ: Oh, the plot thickens! Brook’s daddy is the president of the evil Planet Core! Love it! LOL
DEBBIE: Hah! Awesome twist!

LJ: It is! Let’s dig deeper. Describe Brook in three words.
JESSICA: Dedicated, Curvy, Loving

LJ: Sounds like a nice heroine.
DEBBIE: Me to a T!

LJ: Hmm…okay, close enough, I guess. What is Brook’s biggest fear?
JESSICA: Never seeing Melina again.

DEBBIE: Bet she doesn’t even think about the danger she is putting herself in to find her.
LJ: She probably doesn’t. Aww. Sad. My hubby was overseas during skirmishes over there, and I worried I’d never see him again.

DEBBIE: Yup! Very familiar with that feeling and my daughter when she was in Iraq and Afghanistan.
LJ: It’s tough, and I like how you’ve worked in an aspect of life that a lot of people deal with every day.

DEBBIE: When Brook was a kid, what did she want to be when she grew up?
JESSICA: A mother. Just like her mother.

DEBBIE: Nice!
LJ: What is her hobby or what does she do in her spare time?

JESSICA: With Melina always gone, she dedicates herself to her job, not giving herself any spare time. Though if Melina she would spend time with her, visiting the last remaining green spaces in the city.
LJ: Wow, just to go to a park and see grass. We all seem to take that for granted. That the grass will just always be there. But I can see how eventually it might become scarce.

DEBBIE: Not to jump on any crates here and start preaching, but if we humans don’t smarten the hell up, that’s exactly where we are headed.
LJ: Yep. And I think sometimes SF/Futuristic/Alternate Reality/Dystopian authors paint that picture so we here in the present can get a clue. LOL

DEBBIE: Tell us about Melina.
JESSICA: Melina is a bit of a free spirit, or as much as she can be in the future world she lives in. She started out as a sanitation worker for Planet Core, but is now training to lead a mission to the foreign planet, Airondelle.

DEBBIE: I’m a free spirit.
LJ: What, you think that qualifies you to lead a mission to a foreign planet? Cause if so, there must be something in that water you’re drinking.

DEBBIE: All I said was I was a free spirit. I said nothing about leading a mission to a foreign planet, but I could if I wanted to. I navigate conversations with you daily don’t I?
LJ: Of course you could! (arches brow at Deb) I have no doubt whatsoever. And I know I’m not the easiest person to follow in conversations, so I’d like to make that up to you with this gift. (holds up garment) Let me just help you put this on. (puts shirt on Deb) Oh, yeah. You look great in that red shirt. Now you’re totally ready to lead a mission to a foreign planet. You look great in red, by the way. (turns to Jessica) What is Melina’s biggest flaw?

JESSICA: She’s quick to make decisions, not thinking about the possible consequences.
LJ: Wow, I can so not relate to that. Nope. I’m steady, think my decisions through, coming up with a long list of possible outcomes. Now, Debbie? She’s the quick decider around here.

DEBBIE: Ohhhh she sh*ts you not!! Think and overthink and think again. I’m like “just lop their heads off already”
LJ: You’re so cut throat. LOL But we usually do hack ‘em up, don’t we?

DEBBIE:Is there any other way?
LJ: Uh, nope. Jess, what was the first thing Melina noticed about Brook?

JESSICA: The curve of her hips and ass.
LJ: Getting’ right to it. Yes, ma’am. J

DEBBIE: Is there any other way?
LJ: Uh, nope. (elbows Deb.) Your turn.

DEBBIE: What kind of life did Melina have growing up?
JESSICA: She was an orphan under Planet Core’s rule. Her parents inspired her free spirit, but Planet Core squashed that after killing her parents for trying to escape the city.

DEBBIE: Holy cow. That’s damn unfriendly.
LJ: Awww. Sad. Planet Core must be brought down! Melina needs revenge! Off with their heads! Wait…that’s your line, Deb.

DEBBIE: Yes it is!
LJ: Is there any other way? J

DEBBIE: You are a downright thief today!
LJ: Hey, we share one brain, remember? All thoughts are community property! So, Jess, tell us three things about Melina that aren’t mentioned in the book.

JESSICA: 1. She hates eating replicated food.
2. She keeps a picture of her parents in her nightstand drawer. And one of a cow. One day, she hopes to fulfill their dream by leaving the city and seeing a cow for herself.

3. Before Brook, she’d never met a woman she wanted to be with.
DEBBIE: Replicated food??? Sounds nasty.

LJ: How bad can it be? You’re drinking recycled potable water. That means you’re chugging down some stranger’s p—
DEBBIE: OMG! I’ll have you know I get my water directly from the rain clouds!

LJ: I’m sure you do. Okay, now that we know about our heroines, let’s entice our readers. What are the first seven lines of the story?
JESSICA: It’s time to take our relationship to the next level.

The text had Brook’s heart racing ninety miles a minute. Jason had to mean marriage, right? They’d been together for almost a year. Engagement is the obvious next step.
Sucking in a deep breath, Brook opened the bedroom door. What would she find on the other side? She stepped inside and stared.

LJ: Ooo! Nice! What the heck did she find??
DEBBIE: Wait? That answers absolutely none of my questions? And where did the dude come from?

LJ: Exactly!
 
Quickies:

Boxers or Briefs: boxer briefs
Ocean or Mountains: mountains

Broadway Play and midnight dinner or Movies and popcorn at home: My answer isn’t quick, so I’ll just say movies at the theatre.
Head or gut…JK. Always wanted to say that. I think it was a Bruce Willis movie.

Rag top Jeep or Lamborghini: rag top Jeep
Dog or Cat: Eek! Can I say both?

Blue ink or black ink: both
 

Final Question…..
....You were craving a seafood feast and snuck onto a fishing boat to snag some fresh yummies to cook up. Suddenly, a huge mother ship hovers over in the sky. Everyone around you vanishes. Yep, just poof –gone. And crap, the thieving aliens took all the seafood with them. What the--? Well, that sucks. You shake your fist at the spacecraft, secretly wondering why you were excluded from the party. “Hey, I make a mean crab shalaw,” you screech.
....Without a response, the craft shoots up into the sky. The sudden departure creates a vacuum and the boat tips. A huge wave splashes over the side, bogging the deck. Thank goodness you’re near a crab basket. You clutch the side while the boat rocks, but a wily crap gets frisky and pinches your fingers. You let go. The bastard shuffles toward the other hand. “Don’t you dare. I’ll fry you up and serve you with biscuits.”
....He doesn’t blink. (Wait, do crabs even have eyelids?) Needless to say, you slide across the deck, the ocean sucking you out to sea. Your feet slam into the railing. You sigh…then spot the huge cage skidding toward you—the bastard crab waving it’s pinchers in the air. Yeah, he needs to be dropped in some boiling water.
....Course, then you realize it’s YOU who’s in hot water. The boat has taken on too much water and is sinking. All you have is a crab basket, a buoy, and two tow lines. Oh, and a frisky crab who wants to go toe-to-toe…well, toe-to-claw. What do you do?

JESSICA: I’m doomed if I don’t get off the ship right away. I have to swim as far away as I can, and as fast as I can or risk being pulled down with the ship.
....Of course, I have my life jacket on as well, so I loop the buoy through my jacket with one of the tow lines and jump. As much as I want to eat that annoyingly delicious crab, I won’t have a chance if I go down with the boat.
....I fall under the water, trying not to swallow the briny water, and am pulled quickly back to the surface by the buoy and jacket. But, I’m too late. The force is sucking me toward the vortex. I’m swimming, breast stroke, front stroke, anything to get away. Nothing works. Closer and closer to the spinning center I’m dragged. The sound is deafening, the sucking, and something else, a rhythmic pulse. Water splashes in my face. I can’t see, but I don’t stop fighting, struggling to escape. My muscles ache. My chest is heavy as I fight for air. I can’t swim any longer. I’m ready to give up.

....A heavy force wrenches against my stomach. Plucked into the sky, I gasp, surprised by the sudden rush of air to my lungs. What’s happening?
....Something is holding me tight. I have little room to move, but I know I’m not in the ocean anymore. My legs are dangling and I don’t feel the resistance of the water.

....“Ma’am, are you okay?”
....Okay? I don’t think so. I’m imagining things. Some guy is talking to me. Am I dead?

....My body is twisted around. I feel like I’m falling. Then, I’m flat on my back.
....“Ma’am, are you okay?”

....That voice again. I dare to open my eyes. Helmet covered faces stare down at me. I see lips and noses, whiskered chins, but their eyes are covered with dark glasses.
....“We got to you just in time, Ma’am. Was there anyone else on the boat with you?”

....“No.” I shake my head in case they didn’t hear me. Though, I don’t elaborate. They would likely think I’m crazy if I told them everyone else had been abducted by aliens.
....Shivers overtake my body. I’m suddenly so cold. Right down to my bones.

....“We’re going to remove your wet clothes now, and get you into something dryer.”
....My teeth chatter so bad, I can’t respond. I hear the snip of scissors as my outfit is cut apart. I’m lifted up, and my clothing is removed. I’m naked in front of these strangers, but I don’t care. I just want to be warm again.

....I expect a blanket to be wrapped around me, but instead, large, warm hands caress my body. All four men are touching me, their fingers tracing the outline of my nipples, stroking between my legs.
....I’m no longer cold. Now, a fire of lust rages inside of me.

....One man leans in, as if to kiss me. But he removes his helmet first. My husband. I suck in a quick breath.
....“Jessica, are you okay?”

....The other men dissolve away, and I’m in bed with the man I love.
....“Were you dreaming or something?”

....I rub my eyes. Was I dreaming? It all felt so real. “I must have been. That’s the last time I watch Deadliest Catch before bed.” Though I know that’s a lie.
....I snuggle up to my husband, hoping to continue the end of the dream. ;)

 
DEBBIE: HAHAHAHA! Love it!
LJ: I’d say you survived it—especially since it was all a dream! And now, I’m hungry for seafood….  Thanks for coming by, Jessica! Come back anytime…we love interviewing you! J

DEBBIE: Yes, we do. Stop by again and you can let us know if the dream continues.
 

Debbie: Grab some of these worms and we can go fishing. Do lobster and crabs like worms?
LJ: I think they like chum. Fish like worms. Oh, and birds. But I have no clue where we’d find birds down here. (jumps and grabs Deb’s arm) Oh, crap.

Debbie: Don’t tell me. (puts hands over ears) lalalalalalalala. I can’t hear you!
LJ: (yanks arm) Hey, you wanted to lead a mission on a foreign planet. Here’s your chance. Lead the way. I’m right behind you!

Debbie: (Rips red shirt off and tosses it back to LJ) I said I could if I wanted to. Key word WANTED. This damn hooded dude is getting annoying. Time for a confrontation! Lets go!
LJ: OMG! She's wearing a red bra? This isn't going to be good....
 
Never Gonna Desert You
The Underground #2
By Jessica E. Subject
Erotic Lesbian Sci-Fi/Dystopian Romance
ISBN: 978-1613335468
Available From:
 
BLURB:
....Determined to find and bring back her girlfriend, Brook enlists in the next mission to the foreign planet, Airondelle. But the deception at Planet Core continues, and Brook doesn't realize the depth of her father's involvement until he orders her terminated. Struggling to stay alive, she quickly learns nothing is as she believed.
....Will she ever find Melina? Or will Brook be stuck light years from home, alone, and with a fierce predator hunting her down?
 
EXCERPT:
....“Let’s go, Malock.” Jager raised his eyebrows. “Or did you change your mind?”
....She stood and released a deep breath. Even with her trepidation, she refused to back out now. Melina waited for her. “No, I’m looking forward to seeing Airondelle for myself.”
....Brook spun away and rushed to catch up with her comrades. If she revealed her plans, she’d be stopped before she could find her lover. She would have to hide Melina right under their noses to bring her home. She pushed her shoulders back. I can do this. I have to.
....The all-terrain vehicles sat loaded with equipment for the mission in front of the swirling mass of the portal. Her father certainly wasn’t wasting any time getting a team back to Airondelle. Crewmembers already filled the first vehicle, so she hopped into the back of the second.
....Jager passed around everyone’s mission directives then shoved in on her left. Thank goodness he was the last to load. With his bulk, he occupied both of the remaining seats.
....Before she had time to read her personal orders, they proceeded into the portal. She passed through the spinning matter, her body pulled and stretched in every direction. Unknown forces pushed on her chest, making it difficult to breathe. She gripped the seat, hoping she wouldn’t get pulled out. But the awkwardness didn’t last long. The transporter room light years away, clean, fresh air poured into her lungs. The alien vegetation of the foreign planet lined the rough dirt road they traveled. She yearned to explore the flora and fauna on a more intimate level. And she would, after setting up camp.
....She opened the folder with her mission directive inside. Instead of the stack of papers detailing what Planet Core expected of her, she found a single sheet.
....Her father’s handwriting scrawled across the page. You can never know the truth.
....Hard, cold steel pressed against her temple. A gun. Her breath caught. What the hell is going on? She grabbed her knapsack and launched out of the vehicle.
Read the rest of the series.... 
 
 
MORE
COMING SOON
















 
Jessica Subject is the author of contemporary and science fiction romance, ranging from sweet to erotica. In her stories, you could meet clones, or a sexy alien or two. You may even be transported to another planet for a romantic rendezvous. 
When Jessica isn't reading, writing, or doing dreaded housework, she likes to get out and walk. Fast. But she just may slow down if there is a waterfall nearby.
Jessica lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and two energetic children. And she loves to hear from her readers. You can find her at jessicasubject.com and on twitter @jsubject.
 
 

16 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me! It's always fun to visit with you both. And careful with that chum! You may attract some sharks. (Too much Shark Week - LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love the Discovery Channel! Thanks for being our guest!

      Delete
    2. That I do, as well as the rest of my family. :)

      Delete
  2. LOLOL @Shark Week! You are always welcome at Garland & Gould! Glad you had fun...I know we did! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a great time! I appreciate you both having me over again. :)

      Delete
  3. Deadliest Catch and hiking are two of my faves. Can't wait to check out the full series. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun interview! (I don't know what I'd do in the morning, if the coffee tasted like dirt!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Maybe I just got a bad batch. (or maybe Deb was messing with me) But I'm glad I brought my backup thermos. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Taryn! Makes me glad I don't drink coffee.

      Delete
    3. AMEN, Jessica!!!! Noe caffeinated hot coco on the other hand is awesome!!!

      Delete
    4. Sounds delish, Debbie! Especially on our cold winter days. :)

      Delete
    5. Oh it is, I've only found one company here in the US that makes the Coco with caffeine in it, but it's yummy. You should give it a whirl, lol.

      Delete
    6. I'll have to search the coffee/tea houses here in Canada to see if I can find some. :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Debbie & LJ,

    Can you tell me when your book Betrayal will be out? Also what's the status of the 2nd Book in the Red River series..?

    Thanks

    Melanie J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what's going to happen with Bobby and Betrayal. His story is half written, but the poor guy has been put on the back burner for a bit. I'll keep you updayted.
      As for the next book in the Red River series, Soul Kiss, we a working on it as we speak. We just wrapped up another Pararescueman story and are now going to focus on Soul Kiss. Stay tuned, lol.

      Delete